Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Still Pressing on with Pilgrim by Faith

Pressing on in the journey we set about weeks back with Christian through our reading plan, we've come to rockier road. This has happened, strangely, after Christian lost his load (about which I posted). Many a Christian is surprised at this, thinking that the unburdened abundant life would bring earthly comforts and ease. But it is not so for the one who has embraced the cross, as Christian has found out and is teaching us in his trek.

And yet, whatever cross-bearing or trials and temptations the pilgrim faces, these all are wonderfully overcome by looking to the cross, not our cross. And so it happens as it did at the first: all burdens and loads along the way are loosened and laid on the the living Lord who was crucified. He continues to bear them in his body. And his cross-work continues to provide power for persevering.

So we read this when Christian was at the house of Discretion (he's relating his experience to Piety):
I saw one, as I thought in my mind, hang bleeding upon the tree; and the very sight of him made my burden fall off my back (for I groaned under a very heavy burden) but then it fell down from off me. 'Twas a strange thing to me, for I never saw such a thing before; yea, and while I stood looking up . . . three shining ones came to me: one of them testified that my sins were forgiven me; another stript me of my rags, and gave me this broidered coat which you see; and the third set the mark which you see in my fore-head, and gave me this sealed roll . . . (p. 53).
Of course here he's referring to when his load was first taken from him. And the "three shining ones" testify to the pilgrim's pardon, imputed perfection, and secure election. At that time, they also hand him a book to remember these things, needful because the journey's just begun.

A little further on, still at Discretion's house, Christian tells how "annoyances" (afflictions, trials, and temptations) along the way, after the load was loosened, are sometimes vanquished. Prudence had asked him, "Can you remember by what means you find your annoyances at times, as if they were vanquished?" Christian replies,
Yes, when I think what I saw at the cross, that will do it; and when I look upon my broidered coat, that will do it; and when I look into the roll that I carry in my bosom, that will do it; and when my thoughts wax warm about whither I am going, that will do it (p. 54). 
Prudence then queries Christian further, "And what is it that makes you so desirous to go to Mount Zion?" Christian beams and says,
Why, there I hope to see him alive, that did hang dead on the cross; and there I hope to be rid of all those things, that to this day are in me an annoyance to me; there, they say, there is no death, and there I shall dwell with such company as I like best. For to tell you truth, I love him, because I was by him eased of my burden, and I am weary of my inward sickness . . . (p. 54).
So, thus instructed, we too press on with Christian just as we started our journey at the very first. That is to say, we continue by faith in the Son of God who loved us and gave himself for us; we continue to look to him who bore our burdens and robed us with his righteousness; we move onward and forward in the hope of glory held forth in the Gospel preached to us in the beginning; we are borne along by a weariness of inward sickness which reaches for the remedy and rest purchased and promised; and more, and most of all, seeing him dimly but still seeing him truly, we press on for love of our Lord toward the goal of seeing and knowing and enjoying fully him who bled and died in our stead, him who is our everlasting rest and refreshment at journey's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment