Monday, August 5, 2013

Heartbeats Cannot Be Hoarded

N. D. Wilson:
Death is now. The choice is here. 
Lay your life down. Your heartbeats cannot be hoarded. Your reservoir of breaths is draining away. You have hands, blister them while you can. You have bones, make them strain—they carry nothing in the grave. You have lungs, let them spill with laughter. With an average life expectancy of 78.2 years in the US (subtracting eight hours a day for sleep), I have around 250,000 conscious hours remaining to me in which I could be smiling or scowling, rejoicing in my life, in this race, in this story, or moaning and complaining about my troubles. I can be giving my fingers, my back, my mind, my words, my breaths, to my wife and my children and my neighbors, or I can grasp after the vapor and the vanity for myself, dragging my feet, afraid to die and therefore afraid to live. And, like Adam, I will still die in the end.   
Living is the same thing as dying. Living well is the same thing as dying for others.  
Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent (Dallas: Thomas Nelson, 2013), 84.

No comments:

Post a Comment