Thursday, July 4, 2013

Cpl. Brandon D. "Bubba" Meyers, April 08, 1988–June 28, 2013

My Tribute at the Memorial Service of Cpl. Brandon D. Meyers  

Unfortunately, I didn’t know my cousin Brandon very well. For a variety of reasons, as adults, our paths almost never crossed. That’s regrettable. But I’m glad so many knew him and have shared their memories. It’s been really good to hear what so many knew of Brandon.

I do know this, however: He was a brave man, as my brother has pointed out in his tribute to his life. Brandon was brave. He served faithfully in our military. I admire that. I admire such service a great deal. I know that takes courage, a courage I long to imitate.  

Wars are ugly, and wars are messy. Almost invariably, probably, wars are a mix of fighting for good, and fighting for no good reason. But I know this: there are good things Brandon fought for, freedoms he helped to protect, national security he helped secure. And for his sacrifices, and so many like his, I’m grateful to God. I’m grateful.

I’m grateful for how the sacrifice of a military man, Brandon, points to my supreme hero. I’m a Christian, as many of you know. So Jesus is my supreme hero. I admire him like I admire no one else. He offered the supreme sacrifice in giving his life for the world, when he didn’t have to do it.

And as I’ve thought about Brandon’s life in recent days, I think about how it points—even amid terrible tragedy—to the One who sacrificed everything for the good and welfare and life of others.

I admire the bravery of Brandon. I’m thankful for his service to our country. I’m thankful for the sacrifice of his family in sending their son to fight our messy and painful wars. And I’m thankful that this life, ended way too soon, points to the supreme sacrifice that brings life to a dying world.

Jesus embodied a principle of supreme and sacrificial love, a principle he taught his followers. He said to those who would follow him in self-sacrifice: “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends” (Jn. 15:13). 

No comments:

Post a Comment