Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hallowed Be Your Name

Luther's 1519 exposition of the Lord's Prayer in volume 42 of his writings is wonderful stuff.  For the exegete and biblical theologian, elements of it may not be satisfying.  But for the pastorally and theologically minded man, it is satisfying and then some.  (Incidentally, probably no one should read Luther for precision and carefull exposition, but for theological insight and depth and pastoral sensitivity and concern, one could hardly do much better.)

In summarizing the petition "Hallowed be your name," Luther says:  The sum and substance of the petition is this:  "O dear Father, may your name be hallowed in us; that is, I confess and am sorry that I have dishonored your name so often and that in my arrogance I still defile your name by honoring my own.  Therefore, help me by your grace so that I and my name become nothing, so that only you and your name and honor may live in me." 

And so a person who accords great honor and glory to God, ascribing all to him, "will not be disturbed when dishonor and contempt are heaped on him, for he knows that it is right.  And if no one else wants to dishonor and despise him, he will do this himself.  He dislikes being lauded and exalted.  In that respect he is just, giving to God what is God's and to himself what is his, to God honor and everything else, to himself dishonor and nothing else."

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment