Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bible Meditation Amid Loose Women in the Checkout Aisle

At the last monthly New Covenant Church community chat, I spoke briefly about a men's ministry memorization effort that will shortly be underway.  The banner over the effort is Ps. 119:11: "Your Word, O LORD, have I treasured in my heart, that I might not sin against you!"  In order to motivate the men biblically, I gave four scriptural reasons why we should consider memorizing Scripture as a regular discipline.  All of these fall under the rubric of communion with God.  Briefly here they are in four Ds, along with some Scripture references: 

Delight  (Pss. 1:2; 19:10; 119:97; Jer. 15:6)
Desperation  (Psalms everywhere; e.g., Pss. 16:8; 130:1)
Dependence  (Jn. 15:5; Ps. 119:105)
Duty  (Mt. 28:18-20)

I spoke about how the men might go about the memory work, namely, by meditating as they go about their way each day--in the shower, while brushing teeth, on the treadmill, in the car, and so forth.  But I failed to mention another important time for meditating on the Word of God in the ordinary, ho-hum, humdrum, mundane of daily life: the checkout line.  I almost always do it there.  Of necessity.  (For all four reasons mentioned above.)  It's either that, pondering things above; or it's pondering things below, like loose women hanging out in magazine racks both sides of the aisle, breasts falling out of what I think is supposed to be clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment