Wednesday, July 21, 2010

No Cross, No Crown

Last Sunday's sermon at New Covenant Church was a call to a cruciform life.  Really, it was about basic discipleship, what it means to follow Jesus, what it means to be a Christian.  Pastor Doug O'Donnell is the preacher; the title is "No Cross, No Crown."  This is no-nonsense pulpit ministry, because (as Doug said in the sermon) the Bible is a no-nonsense book.

As a personal aside, I have been wrestling this week with why on earth I am studying Hebrew in an intensive class at Wheaton College, not least because I have to work two days a week during part of this (days off for the others; yes, self-pity is a daily temptation).  I realized that vain ambition can get me through a lot, but not Hebrew.  I'd sooner take my ease and enjoy the summer.  The cross alone has the power to kill my desires for ease and comfort and pleasure.  Only because I believe that the Lord Jesus has called me to embrace this am I afflicting myself with intensive Hebrew.  O blessed cross!  There I was crucified to the world of summer ease, and there the world of summer ease was crucified to me.  And Pastor O'Donnell's sermon has been a timely call for me to deny myself for the sake of handling God's holy Word with still greater care and fidelity.  Thank you, Lord, for the preached Word that calls me to die daily--for Messiah's sake!  The cross is all!

No comments:

Post a Comment