Sunday, January 30, 2011

Begrudge Not Your Sufferings O Child of God

The child of God ought not to begrudge the sufferings sent by his heavenly Father, nor should the child of God merely endure them. They are assigned and apportioned by grace for great and wise and holy purposes from the loving hand of a sovereign covenant God who reigns in pain and pleasure.

Here are some texts that have helped me over the years to think about trials and pain and suffering:

"Before I was afflicted I went astray,
     but now I keep your word" (Ps. 119:67).

"It is good for me that I was afflicted,
     that I might learn your statutes" (Ps. 119:71).

"I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous,
     and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me" (Ps. 119:75).

God afflicts us in faithfulness for holy ends. Such rock-solid truths ought to raise in our minds the great value and blessing of sufferings. And we also ought to remember that our sufferings are only sanctified as valuable and worthy of prizing on account of the purchase of the blood of the Son of God. His blood purchased that every thing coming the way of the believer works for his good.

So what sufferer who has tasted the goodness of the Lord in appointed pain will not praise him and thank him and honor him on account of it? The suffering of the child of God has been transformed by the cross and crown of Christ. And I bless and praise my Father whose rod is pleasant pain. I feel very loved of the Lord because I am a chastened son.

No comments:

Post a Comment