Friday, January 7, 2011

Resolved

Em and I regularly try to do some common reading together for the sake of edifying discussion. This year we're beginning with the Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. He wrote seventy resolutions while he was nineteen years old, firm determinations of his by which he assessed himself weekly.

He begins the Resolutions this way:
Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake.
Reading these never fails to stir up my cold, dull, lifeless, irresolute soul. Here are two that rebuke my indolent soul every time:
5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.
6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.
I groan at what a lazy, irresolute and passionless man I often am. After knowing the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ so long, yet I still sink again and again into a dull, lifeless frame. Come, Spirit, come. And breath on me anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment