Saturday, March 5, 2011

Resolved

Here are two more from Edwards' Resolutions, which devastate me, especially as I consider the way I dishonored my parents as a child and young man. And so I pray: "O God, remember not the sins of my youth, and instruct this sinner in the everlasting way, according to your steadfast love and for the sake of your goodness."
46. Resolved, never to allow the least measure of any fretting uneasiness at my father or mother. Resolved to suffer no effects of it, so much as in the least alteration of speech, or motion of my eye: and to be especially careful of it, with respect to any of our family.
47. Resolved, to endeavor to my utmost to deny whatever is not most agreeable to a good, and universally sweet and benevolent, quiet, peaceable, contented, easy, compassionate, generous, humble, meek, modest, submissive, obliging, diligent and industrious, charitable, even, patient, moderate, forgiving, sincere temper; and to do at all times what such a temper would lead me to. Examine strictly every week, whether I have done so (Works of Jonathan Edwards, vol. 16, pp. 753-759).
"Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O LORD! Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way!" (Ps. 25:7-8).

No comments:

Post a Comment