Monday, March 5, 2012

The Gospel Going to the People of the Plains

Yesterday some dear friends spent their last Sunday with our local church before they depart for Burma. They're going out for the sake of the Name (3 John 7), that Name above all names. At our love feast, I had opportunity to give thanks publicly to God for his work in their lives. It was good to be there, three days before their departure, looking out over and considering the harvest with them. 

What follows were the reasons I gave why I'm so thankful, concluding with the brief word of exhortation and promise I gave them. (I've purposely not mentioned their names. For those who would know them, their children are named after two early church missionaries, and they themselves are children of missionaries.)

I’m thankful to God for bringing them this far, through much laboring and planning and praying and trusting and persevering. I remember when, years ago, before they knew each other, God laid on my dear brother's heart a desire to go to Burma. And now, years later, with his wife by his side, God is bringing that seed desire to fruition.

I’m also thankful for their courage. Think about it. You’re leaving behind all that is comfortable and familiar, all your family and friends and your church. You’re leaving behind a relatively easy life for a much harder one. And, you’re doing this with two little ones, not knowing exactly where you’re going and what you’ll be facing. That takes courage. And I’m thankful God’s given it to them.

I’m also thankful for their love for Christ and love for the Gospel of the free grace of God. They’re not doing this for their name, for their own sake, for their earthly advantage. They’re doing this in the cause of Christ and his kingdom.

I’m also thankful for their love for poor, perishing sinners, specifically, the people of the plains. They’re laying their lives down for the elect in Burma, bought with Jesus' blood, constrained by the love of Christ.

So I’m thankful for their perseverance, courage, love for Christ, love for the Gospel, and love for poor, perishing people. And I’m deeply thankful for all the support they’ve been given by NCC. They are worthy of this calling, having been fitted and equipped by God's good Spirit, and none will regret in eternity having given to this great cause. 

As we look out over the world, as we look out to the land of the people of the plains, bought with Jesus’ blood, hear Deut. 31:6: “Be strong, and be bold; do not be afraid, and do not tremble before them; for YHWH your God, he is the one who goes with you. He will not abandon you, nor will he forsake you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment