Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Goal of the Law is Christ for Righteousness

Here's my translation of Rom. 10:4: "For the goal of the law is Christ for righteousness to everyone who is believing."

And here's Calvin unpacking of this text (simply marvelous!):
. . . those who seek to be justified by their own works are false interpreters of the law, because the law has been given to lead us by the hand to another righteousness. Indeed, every doctrine of the law, every command, every promise, always points to Christ. We are, therefore, to apply all its parts to Him. . . .
Thus the righteousness of faith (as we saw in the first chapter) is witnessed to by the law. This remarkable passage declares that the law in all its parts has reference to Christ, and therefore no one will be able to understand it correctly who does not constantly strive to attain this mark.
 The Epistles of Paul the Apostle to the Romans and Thessalonians (Grand Rapids: Paternoster, 1960), 221-222.

I confess that this is my life, my joy, my salvation, my all!

No comments:

Post a Comment