Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Seifrid on Pistis Iēsou Christou

How the term pistis Iēsou Christou (πίστις Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ) in Rom. 3:22 (and elsewhere) should be interpreted has been a matter of intense scholarly dispute. For my part, I lean heavily toward the traditional interpretation, taking it as an objective genitive: "faith in Jesus Christ." But I don't want to give my reasons here. I want to post Mark Seifrid's view, which I find intriguing (though I'm not convinced yet). Most interpreters take pistis Iēsou Christou as either a subjective or objective genitive. Not so Seifrid. 

Providing examples from Josephus, Philo, Ignatius, and Acts, Seifrid argues that neither the objective nor subjective options should be embraced, because they both presuppose a purely verbal noun. Rather, Paul speaks of Christ as source and author of faith, so that “to believe in Jesus Christ is not first to act, but rather to be acted upon by God in his work in Jesus Christ.”

 —Seifrid, Mark A., “The Faith of Christ,” in The Faith of Jesus Christ: Exegetical, Biblical, and Theological Studies (eds. Michael F. Bird and Preston M. Sprinkle; Peabody: Hendrickson and Paternoster, 2009), 129-146.

No comments:

Post a Comment