Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Center of John Owen's Life and Theology

I heartily agree with the perspective of this post on Owen at Between Two Worlds. I've not got through Owen's entire corpus yet (still plodding away!), but this suggestion of an Owenian center rings true: "the doctrine that in the gospel we behold, by the Christ-given Holy Spirit, the glory of God 'in the face of Christ" and are thereby changed into his image" (Richard Daniels, The Christology of John Owen, 92).

In truth, before ever I knew there was talk about a center in Owen, I myself was gripped by this. I believe it's on the face of his writings. In fact, I lectured on Owen for a Sunday school class about a year ago and gave the same center as I expounded the heart of his theology and life. Another plausible center (or at least a dominant emphasis), though, in my judgment, could be something like this: true and full Christian experience consists in a continual holy communion with the God of triune glory, by the power, wisdom, and delight of the Gospel. But I'll let the scholars quibble over these matters. I simply exult and glory in them as I experience them.

Another point made in Taylor's post that I appreciate is the one about who Owen fundamentally was: he was first and foremost, above all else, whatever else he was, a pastor. That's inescapable, as I read him. And for this I love him, especially as one who is often nauseated by academic and professional puffery and posturing among scholars and pastors. O for more pastors like Owen, who love the flock of God up into the glories of Christ!

If you've never read Owen, what a treasure you've yet to find. My recommendation: start with either volume 1, 2, or 6 of his Works, published by Banner of Truth. Take up and read!

No comments:

Post a Comment