Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Leaky Brain and The Four Causes

If you're like me, you regularly experience frustration for forgetting things you shouldn't. For me, it's almost a way of life and, I confess, a great grief. In the Bible, remembering, particularly when it comes to God's deeds,  promises, and warnings, is a duty and virtue. We don't get to say to God as an excuse for disobedience, "But I forgot." That's just self-indictment. Forgetting God's works and words and ways is damning (e.g., Ps. 78:10-11).

Now although I don't want to overdue a recent episode of forgetfulness and make it some moral monster in my life, yet not being able to recall Aristotle's four causes in some recent reading, which causes I'd reviewed a dozen times in times past, feels like a character flaw. At the least, it's a weakness and grief to me. I've tried to lay up the four causes because in theology and philosophy the terms come up so often.

So, for the sake of review and attempting to make the four causes permanent furniture in my brain, here they are, stated simply by R. C. Sproul in The Consequences of Ideas (Wheaton: Crossway, 2000, p. 48):
Aristotle posited four distinct types of causes that produce changes in things. These causes are 1) the formal cause, which determines what a thing is; 2) the material cause, that out of which a thing is made; 3) the efficient cause, that by which a thing is made; and 4) the final cause, that for which a thing is made, or its purpose.
There they are, on the screen, perhaps still not in my brain. But now I have easier reference at my desk when my leaky brain leaks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment