Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Christological Ecclesiology

Augustin (from Letter CXX; as cited in vol. 5 of Owen's Works, Banner of Truth, p. 176):
We hear the voice of the body from the mouth of the head. The church suffered in him when he suffered for the church; as he suffers in the church when the church suffers for him. For as we have heard the voice of the church in Christ suffering, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Look upon me"; so we have heard the voice of Christ in the church suffering, "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?"
Now this is head-and-body Christology (or shall I say ecclesiology; or perhaps, even better, christological ecclesiology, or ecclesiological Christology?)  I can live with. In fact, must live with. Moreover, love to live with. It's therein holy Scripture. It's therewoven into ultimate reality, knitted, as it were, into the being of the Trinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment