Friday, February 10, 2012

DG's 2012 Conference for Pastors

Last week I went with a group of men from my local church to DG's 2012 Conference for Pastors: God, Manhood, & Ministry: Building Men for the Body of Christ. We had a wonderful time. Undoubtedly the conversations were the best part of the few days. Among the talks given, I found Doug Wilson's outstanding: "'Father Hunger' in Leading the Home," and "'Father Hunger' in Leading the Church." And Crawford Lorrits' message moved me to tears.

The interview with Piper and Wilson was a conversation that for years I've hoped for and even prayed for. It was immensely illuminating and stimulating, especially as some of the emphases and differences of these two ministries were explored face to face with each other.

I've easily listened to hundreds of sermons from each of these ministries, and I've felt a number of the tensions brought to the fore in this discussion. I have a lot to explore on this score, but for now I'll say this much about some of these tensions: I think we must live in the tensions of conversations such as this one in conversation with God's Word and one another, trying to do what is pleasing in the Lord's sight, seeking the wisdom and guidance of God's good Spirit. In other words, we never settle such tensions and move on. We live in them.

A one-size-fits-all approach to the questions raised, neglecting the Bible's balance and breadth, surely leaves lives and churches truncated. This one-size-fits-all tendency, afflicting many evangelical churches (e.g., some discussions on the mission of the Church), poses all sorts of problems. I find that many of the emphases and strengths of Piper and Wilson complement each other rather well and are not contradictory at all. Yet there's a deep need for wisdom to work out in day to day life the details of the tensions of biblical teachings and Bible teachers. And this requires dependence. A good place to be.

So have at these resources, men. They're food for your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment