Sunday, June 20, 2010

Monks and Beer: A Little Medieval Ditty

As I enjoy my way through a couple of glasses of Guinness and Mansfield's book on God and Guinness, I've gotten to a portion that relays the history of beer in the world.  Fascinating.  It includes the crucial role of the Church in brewing.  In a section on brewing in the monastaries as a social service, Mansfield tells of a little ditty that came about on account of the beer drinking habits of the monks.  Now while I do believe this is also healthy for you, I'm pouring this one exclusively for your enjoyment:
To drink like a Capuchin is to drink poorly;
To drink like a Benedictine is to drink deeply;
To drink like a Dominican is pot after pot;
But to drink like a Franciscan is to drink the cellar dry.
Enjoy this one with a Guinness, on me (the ditty, that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment